Monday 8 November 2010

Rats

It wasn't a cat, it wasn't a dog and it certainly wasn't a hog.  Rats!


I figured it out when I noticed that my power bars had magically moved from lying neatly on my bed post-food inventory to the back corner of my room.  Now that's odd, I thought.  I tiptoed to look and sure enough - all three had been molested by an animal of some sort.  So that's what all the noise was!


This made me sick.  I went down to the lobby and of course nobody was there...it was late.  So I instant messaged Lee in London for some support and advice.  She said:  "Mommsen, stop bringing food into your room"  Check!


Then I finally called one of my guides who rescued me in about 5 minutes.  Thai is from this area and probably grew up with rats as play pals, but he was really nice and understanding - even when I told him he couldn't leave my side until I had packed up all my things.  He put me in the room across the hallway which is probably also rat infested.  I nearly asked Thai to sleep in the bed next to mine, but that probably would have been even more awkward than sleeping with rats.


Since this was a special occasion, I took the other half of the ambien I had taken pre-rat discovery and fell dead asleep.


I now have 17 almonds, half a bag of dried mangosteens and 1 ambien left for the trip.


Operation Triscuit starts NOW.



No comments:

Post a Comment