Thursday 11 November 2010

Civilization

Took a 5 hour boat ride on the Mekong to Phnom Penh Cambodia.  I love being on boats and the sun was out so it was a great trip.  In case you're wondering where I am, here's a map of the route we're following:




Upon arrival in Phnom Penh I was ecstatic to be back in civilization!  We went to lunch at a lovely restaurant on the river that had REAL bathrooms. 


Then our new tour guide (can't spell his name) decided to temper our joy by taking us to a Genocide Museum.  I know what you're thinking - why didn't we make it to the Cambodian Killing Fields 15 kms away as planned?  Unfortunately our guide took us on a VERY thorough 2 hour tour of the museum/prison and so we didn't have time for any more Killing Fields which was a real shame. 


It was too horrible and sad for words and I've had it with horrid and sad history lessons.  I am ready to experience the wonderful things of Cambodia that everyone has told me about.  Tomorrow we cycle to Ou Dong and then have the afternoon to ourselves to explore Phnom Penh.  Hopefully the sun shines like it did today.


No triscuits today, but I did find a convenience store and cleaned them out of nearly all remotely healthy snacks.  I am now a walking grocery store, but I will not go hungry.  


And I avoided Jane for most of the day.  The only real exposure I had to her was when we were at customs on the Cambodian border.  It took a while, but eventually we all got our visas except for Jane which made her very nervous.  I think she knew as well as I did that the Cambodians are smart enough to know she shouldn't be allowed into their country...they've heard how she eats magnets and pees in showers.  But somehow they ended up letting her in.


Today is my 8 year anniversary with Philips.  A huge, huge thank you to Axelle and Jaap for letting me take 2 months vacation!  I cannot thank you enough (but you're probably so busy you never read my blog...).  I feel so lucky to be celebrating the anniversary in SE Asia and lucky to have been able to move all over the place with Philips over the past 8 years.  


I also feel lucky because I get to sleep in the most normal hotel I've stayed at in 4 nights.  If I pretend, I can almost convince myself I'm in a Super 8!



2 comments:

  1. Christy I'm now following your blog and loving it! You're such an entartaining writer!!
    Let us know how your uber exeptional cycling trousers are performing - are they up to the expectations? And how's your knee?? Back in AMS you'll need a physio session to check it anyway, right?
    Thinking of you a lot, all my Italian love to you and say hi to all my friends down there... :)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, my entire team at the big clinic is now following this blog. They want you to come for happy hour because your blog is so fun! So, if you get a comment or two from someone you don't know on the Minnesota Prairie, she's with me. Happy and safe travels this week!

    ReplyDelete