Monday 6 December 2010

Woman of the Waves

Had a 7 hour drive through the Costa Rican country side to a tiny town somewhere outside of Nosara.  Was a great ride and I had a charismatic taxi driver Eduardo who didn’t speak any English but took me out for a great lunch of seafood, beer and ice covered in red syrup, condensed milk, caramel and marshmallows (it was better than it sounds).

There was so much seafood, there was no way I could finish it, but it gave Joe's some serious competition.

I don’t even know the name of the town I’m in, but this is a serious little slice of heaven.  I’ll get some photos of the beach, but right now all I’m trying to do is stay on my surf board.

We’ve had a day and a half of lessons and I am pretty sure I’m the worst student in surfing school.  I can’t even figure out which leg to lead with because both feel equally wrong.  And unfortunately I’m not ambidextrous.  I had these dreams that maybe I would be a natural surfer, but I could not be a more unnatural surfer – I look something like a cheerleader gone wrong if I ever can stand up on the board.  The good news is that I get extra special attention from the adorable surfing instructors.  I still can’t figure out why surfers always seem to be good looking … but I do understand why they’re so short.  I wish I was about 5 feet tall at this point because then maybe I could stand on the board.

I’m here with a much different and exponentially more likable group than my cycling crew – 9 married guys who have escaped their families to have a week in Costa Rica to recognize their dream of becoming  Surfer Dudes. 

This place is serious about surfing.  When we are not surfing, we are in surfing theory class, watching surfing movies or doing yoga.  There’s no way I could ever match the passion of the guys I’m here with, but I have to say, this is a pretty cool experience.  Love being in the ocean (even though the ocean has seriously pummeled me around and knocked me upside down over and over and over) and the weather couldn’t be better.  Plus I’ve learned a lot about other many other new topics including guitars, rock music, cars and beer.

I am bruised all over and my feet are really cut up.  Even my jaw hurts from clenching it trying to get up on my surf board (I wish I was like Betsy and just stuck my tongue out when deep in concentration).  The best part is that the instructors tell you to pour alcohol on your painful spots which nearly makes me scream in pain.  But apparently it toughens you up somehow.  I might be showering in it by the end of this.

the pool at surfing school...nice, but the beach is better!

me bored in long car ride...

view along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment